without love we perish

Saturday, May 27

Ghost Story by Toby Litt

I abandoned the book after much mulling over the slow pace.
Toby Litt is a good writer despite this book's disappointment (to me at least).I read deadkidsongs and Corpsing and was totally immersed in the great narration and the comfortable pace of the story.But Ghost Story was just slightly more draggy compared to the former two novels, and I was not particularly attracted to its plot.
Litt writes of a couple in their thirties(my guess) who move into a new seaside neighbourhood in England.Something is wrong with Agatha, most probably post-natal depression(my guess again) and it is causing tension among the couple.She doesn't get out of the house,not even to the front porch and she insists that her son will only move in when she thinks he will be comfortable with the house.Paddy is trying his best to help her move on so that their child, Max,can move into the house with them.
And this is where I chuck the book away.
If you like prose and some very descriptive literature,you'll probably like this.
This is a bad review,if you even consider it one.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home